We encourage users to be aware of potential problems or scams that can arise when hiring someone, although scams in this category are less frequent.
Do home work first:
• Trust your judgment when hiring someone. There are often many choices for the service you require so if you aren’t sure or something just doesn’t feel right, move on to the next one.
• Check the company’s website- does it fit how they describe themselves in the ad, read about us page, and google their reputation in the market?
• Read reviews about the company and check references- past customers are your best source of information. Professional companies should have no problem giving you these.
• Check the Better Business Bureau- it may give you an idea of their business practices.
Keep in mind:
many companies choose not to join the BBB, and this does not necessarily mean the company isn’t legitimate or hard working.
It’s in the details.
• Be direct and honest about your expectations regarding the service required. Ask questions and get clarification where needed for your satisfactions.
• Be careful with deposits- make sure you check references first and never pay more than half before the work is done.